Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 cutting cork handles?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drewtits
Ausbass Member

Australia
38 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  08:05:09  Show Profile Send drewtits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,
The end of my reel seat is on a 45 degree angle, and I'm looking to change my ****ty stained Eva grip to a cork one.
My question is is there a trick or a cheats way of making the cork meet the reel seat perfectly or just cut the angle and hope for the best?
Any help is super appreciated!
Regards, drewy

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  19:29:18  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
could use a protractor to work out the angle then just cut it & tape the blank till the cork sits true & trial fit & keep sanding & fitting until it's a snug fit at the real seat, the cork won't be tight anway as your going over the widest part of the blank to fit it. then cut to length allowing for a but cap to seat on the blank as well.
once its fitting give it a light scoaring on the inside with a small round file & blow out the dust & loose particals, scuff the blank lightly with some 120grit sand paper between the tape seats & clean the blank with metho on a rag.
glue it on with reasonable amounts of 24hr epoxy glue clean off any glue that squeezed out with metho, fit the but cap & reclean & leave to set for a few days before you put a bend in it.

thats if you really really like the rod, otherwise time to update.
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

353 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  19:52:08  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beat me to it Greg. All I'd add is that you're staining EVA, cork will show up the dirt worse .

As an alternative, you can now get some rod building heatshrink and put it straight over what you've already got. Will clean up the look and put a bit of grip/pattern on there to boot.

Stevo
Go to Top of Page

Dishley
Ausbass Member

1657 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  21:39:55  Show Profile Send Dishley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SkyeWarrior

As an alternative, you can now get some rod building heatshrink and put it straight over what you've already got. Will clean up the look and put a bit of grip/pattern on there to boot.

Stevo

Now that sounds interesting, do you have any links to any more info on this??
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

353 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  23:26:00  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dish, take a look at this :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eDBCibkbk

You can get it from The rodworks - have got a couple of rods I need to fix up my self...

Stevo
Go to Top of Page

paulo
Ausbass Member

32 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  20:54:54  Show Profile Send paulo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As suggested, try and match the angle and s-l-o-w-l-y sneak up to a neat fit - less haste, less waste.

Another option might be to use some tennis racquet grip tape???

I also think you can get cork tape similar to the tennis racquet tape.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000