Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 Unbalanced rod? (Newbie)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drewtits
Ausbass Member

Australia
38 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  10:08:43  Show Profile Send drewtits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I've just put my reel seat and cork handles in my blank (not glued) and my rod seems to be quite top heavy. I have the handles and seat where it feels comfortable for gripping the rod but when I hold it in the hand loosely the tip of the rod dives to the ground as if it's super unbalanced.

My question is how do I fix this?
Can I just alter the positions of the grips and seat etc or do I add weight to the butt etc?
Just after the simplest/cheaper way to do it as I've already spent abit on all the pieces.

Thanks in advance, Andrew

Ps. It's a split grip baitcast reel seat with no foregrip above the reel seat if that helps any!

Edited by - drewtits on 01/04/2014 10:12:02

Dishley
Ausbass Member

1657 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  12:10:21  Show Profile Send Dishley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once you put the reel on it should help that balance, but I'm not a rod builder.
I'm sure you'll get some better responses from those that have done this kind of thing before
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

352 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  22:40:42  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Andrew, Dish is on the money. Tape your grip and seat on where you want it, tape your guides where they belong, put on your reel and run the line through and attach your usual lure, then go to the park and have a few casts. Maybe take an upper and lower range weight lure as well. The reel should sort out the swing weight, but casting it a bit will let you know for sure. Out of curiosity, what's the blank you're building?

Good Luck!
Stevo
Go to Top of Page

benny88
Ausbass Member

628 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  09:37:15  Show Profile Send benny88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill start by saying I know little about rod construction but I may be able to help with your overall rod plan.

Consider using a spiral wrap guide system. U will be able to get away with less guides usualy one or two, particularly in the tip section of the rod resulting in less weight in the tip and a much crisper action. I recently had my first spiral wrap bc rod made. Its a 10lb 6'3" St Croix legend elite blank and its amazing. I was sceptical at first but now im completely converted and I honestly dont believe that you can ever achieve the same performance from a blank with w standard guide setup. Another thing u can do is learn to tie an fg knot (if you havent already) and drop a few guide sizes. Micro guides will certainly take some slop out of a blank. Lastly, is this your first bc rod? Generally speaking if your expecting a balance similar to a well constructed spinning combo it might be a touch unrealiatic simply due to a bc reel sitting forward of your hand on the cast. Even if u palm the side plate on the retrieve the weight (the way I hold it at leas) sits further forward then with a spin reel. If your convinced that its too tip heavy move Ur grip and seat forward by just a touch. Small moves will make significant differences. Personally I like a short butt on a bc rod for kayak fishing. I also think a heavy tip means stuff all when fishing cranks and spinnerbaits which is all my bc gear is used for. Obviously its a different story all together when fishing rip baits or plastics but thats spin gear folley in my game plan. What I cant stand is sloppyness or a loss of sensitivity.

Is it a med, fast or x fast blank? Slower the blank means less meat in the ass and more tip heavy tho less overall weight.

Edited by - benny88 on 03/04/2014 10:17:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000