Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 Drying motor speeds???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pat
Ausbass Member

Australia
75 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  12:52:26  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
Im almost finished building my hand wrapper to build my first rodwas just wondering if 2rpm is too slow for a drying motor as I was gonna steal the one off the BBQ
cheers pat

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  18:56:45  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bbq rotiserie is perfect for drying a rod, have ised the small plastic one a few times in the past on all different size rods, even fully rollered game rods & she still goes great.
just made a little wooden box to mount it in & glue a peice of dowell in the hole at the end of the shaft. then drill a small hole in dowel & screw a rubber but cap onto the end of the shaft, takes all sizes of rod blank that way & just make em fit with masking tape.
good luck.
lightly waving a hair dryer over the epoxy while on rotiserie will bring any air to surface & pop & smooth back out. don't get it hot though just lightly wave warm over.
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  22:18:10  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks beats I've got all that sorted pretty well already I've grinded down the head of a bolt so it fits snugly into the square hole in the rotisserie motor I've then put a piece of rubber hose over the bolt very tightly with a nut and washer at the motor end so when I tighten it it expands the hose inside the blank giving a pretty good grip .it'll only work for small diameter rods but that should be sufficient for the moment if I need something for bigger stuff I'll make sure I use your idea ,I just wasn't sure about the speed of the motor as the drying motors that I've seen online turn at about 5-8 rpm and this one only turns at 2rpm. I'll be starting within the next week or two so I'll post how it all goes (if it's successful) hehe thanks again for the reply
cheers pat
Go to Top of Page

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  22:06:08  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if its stormy muggy - or rainy weather give it a miss for a nice day but if your in airconditioning all good go for your life. moisture in the air is not the perfect enviroment for epoxy work.
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2010 :  08:08:35  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks beats my sheds air conditioned as we lived in it before we renovated the house, i stripped the guides off an old rod yesterday to practice wrapping guides and applying epoxy and it seemed to work alright,is just one coat alright or is two coats the norm? anyway anymore tips you could think of would be greatly appreciated
cheers pat
Go to Top of Page

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2010 :  20:43:43  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 even coat is enough, keep it as thin as possible so long as it is even & you can nolonger see the thread lines, sometimes it may pay to do half the rod at a time depending on how much epoxy work you have to do, but in A/C with a light rod with no fancy weaves or anything should ace it in 1 go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000