Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 Sealing rod after binding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bump73
Ausbass Member

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2013 :  16:59:48  Show Profile Send bump73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having amassed quite a collection of good quality rods that I have broken over the years i've decided to put the guides to some good use and have a crack at building a rod. I've replaced guides on rods before so i'm pretty confident with the binding side of it the only thing i'm not to sure on is the clear coat that goes on after.

Is it actually necessary or is purely cosmetic to make it look all shiny? I have a cheap slingshot that doesn't appear to be sealed except where the binding on the guides is and it performs fine so am I missing some reason why the clear coat is necessary??

Also the blank i've got my eye on is a 2-6lb MHX white blank which already comes with a high gloss finish, and is nice and cheap. Seeing as the guides will be coming off my 1-3kg Veritas that i trod on and snapped i figure white is pretty appropriate. Has anyone had any experience with these blanks, or can anyone recommend something in a 1-3kg blank that is nice and cheap for a first rod???

Link to blanks i'm looking at http://www.therodworks.com.au/613-White-Blanks/5917-White-Blanks.html

Thanks for any advice.

Ben

Dishley
Ausbass Member

1657 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2013 :  06:44:40  Show Profile Send Dishley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Samurai blanks are pretty sweet for the money
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  20:29:49  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 1-3kg MHX blank will be a slow action once you bind and epoxy , a bit too slow for stopping bass IMHO
The samurai S002X is a very nice blank for the money and doesn't get too sloppy once wrapped and epoxied , if you're dead set on the MHX I'd go a bit heavier 2-4 or even 2-5 kg
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

352 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  21:07:13  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ben, if the blank's uncoated when you buy it, you don't need to coat it once you've built the rod. Mandatory for the guide wraps though.

In some ways the coating's cosmetic, it's how the manufacturer's change it's colour.

Stevo
Go to Top of Page

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not always needed but finishes the rod off. My land base snapper rod doesn't have any epoxy and still works a treat. Been like it for about 10yrs. At the time didnt have the space to spin a 13ft one pc rod for a few hours
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000